Alliance for Biking & Walking creates, strengthens, and unites state and local bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations.
Every community benefits from the fun, practicality, and efficiency of biking and walking. In 2015, one-third of all trips will be made by bicycling and walking for reasons ranging from personal health and environmental sustainability to economic necessity and moral responsibility. The Alliance has created, strengthened, and empowered effective and sustainable bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations in every state, province, and major city in North America. These organizations are highly respected by the public, media, and policy makers. Their efforts in their communities and their united strength at the national level have transformed communities into places where it is easy, safe, desirable, and common for citizens to bike and walk.
Values that guide our work:
- the power of the bicycle to transform individuals and communities.
- the role of bicycling and walking in efficient transportation.
- the importance of social change at the state and local level.
- our cost effectiveness and resilience.
- our professionalism and our careers as the leaders of state and local bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations.
- the uniqueness of our diverse communities and the collective brilliance of our membership.
- the role of song: “there is no movement without music.”
- connecting, playing together and reinvigorating ourselves through gatherings.
- our history and heart embedded in our name."